Our Radford Veterinarian Team Provides Comprehensive Pet Dermatology Services for Animals in Need
Like humans, pets can suffer from skin conditions, as well. Our Radford veterinarian staff can evaluate, diagnose, manage, and treat your pet's skin issue and help you learn how to manage it at home, allowing both you and your pet to spend more time enjoying time and less time dealing with itchy, uncomfortable symptoms!
Common Skin Conditions & Their Causes Which Can Affect Dogs and Cats
Dogs and cats of all breeds may be susceptible to skin issues, which can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Fleas, ticks, dust mites, and other parasites
- Allergic reaction (to mites, food, pollen, household chemicals, etc.)
- Weather, especially seasonal climate changes such as cold dry winter air
- Bacterial, viral, fungal, and/or yeast infections
- Acute trauma issues, including burns and sunburns
- Skin cancer
Many times, two or more of these issues can occur together, for instance, a paw pad burn from hot pavement or a flea bite may become infected with bacteria. You can usually tell if your pet is suffering from a skin condition, as the animal may show signs such as:
- Hair loss
- Excessive scratching, itching, licking, and/or biting of the irritated area
- Excessive head shaking
- Foul odor from the skin
- The appearance of red irritated areas ("hotspots") which may be flaky, oozing, and/or scabbing
- Evidence of fleas and dust mites (their eggs, waste, and/or the parasites themselves on the skin)
Typical Treatments for Pet Skin Problems Available at our Veterinary Hospital in Radford
Understanding the underlying cause of your pet's skin problems is the primary goal of the pet dermatology team here at our veterinary hospital in Radford. We may run special tests, including lab work and diagnostic imaging, to help us figure out the source of your pet's scratching, itching, and general skin discomfort. We'll also ask for your input and take skin samples as needed.
Based on our findings, we'll be able to give your pet a customized treatment plan to address its symptoms. Treatments are multi-factorial and can include:
- Prescription and/or over-the-counter medications, shampoos, foods, ointments, etc. (anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-histamine, etc.)
- Nutritional supplements, especially essential fatty acids, and dietary recommendations
- Lifestyle and household changes, including removal or avoidance of known allergens and hygiene techniques
We also have an in-house pet pharmacy to make it even more convenient for you to order, fill, and pick up any products that will be helpful for your animal.
Is Your Family Pet Struggling with a Skin Issue? Contact Radford Animal Hospital Now
Do you believe your animal is suffering from a skin condition? Contact us at the Radford Animal Hospital by calling (540) 639-3891 to schedule an appointment with a Radford veterinarian. We also serve nearby communities including Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Dublin, and Fairlawn, so if you live in the area, consider us for all your pets specialized and routine care needs!